Wednesday, August 24, 2016

New Normals

Stock market is up.  Housing market is up.  At the risk of sounding smug, that is good news for me.  I'll enjoy it while I can because undoubtedly, a bust of some kind looms on the horizon.

We're getting ready for a 3 week vacation and we're doing things slightly differently from here on out.  Our car will be parked at the airport, which will avoid long delays at the airport in waiting for friends/family/shuttle services/rental cars once we return to the US.  I missed a shuttle home one time recently and spent the night on the floor at Los Angeles International.  I'll never do that again.  My plane was late on arrival (11pm) and everything was closed ..... nightmare.  Another time, the shuttle driver drove like a maniac, throwing the van around corners and slamming on the brakes, and the spouse almost puked.  So, for the first time ever, we are splurging a little and parking the car at the airport for the entire time we are gone so that we can drive ourselves home in 'civilized' fashion.

I've prepaid for train travel in the country of our destination.  Apparently, all I have to do is use the credit card at the ticket machines at the station on the other end and hey presto!  Our tickets should print out right there.  It was much cheaper to pay ahead.  Another first.  This had better work.

In other news, bills are paid up on time and pet sitting has been arranged.  I continue to sell stuff on Craigslist and donate to Goodwill.  Even if I don't end up selling the house next spring, I am continuing to move towards a minimalist lifestyle.  I have discovered that I never needed all the crap with which I surrounded myself.  The 'high of the buy' was nothing but an illusion.  It is an illusion.  Sort your emotional baggage out, get healthy, strive to stay on track.  It's hard at first but it does get easier as time goes on and bad habits are replaced with better ones. 

'Normal' gets reset to a new 'normal'.  I continue to work towards a healthier body and mind.  One of the kids went off to medical school almost a month ago and I've lost 10 pounds since.  I've been trying to reset my weight for years and I believe I finally may have this one in the bag too.  I need to get down to around 150 pounds to see where it all sits ..... so that's 70 more pounds to go.  Even though my family is nothing but a big can of worms at times, I will not give in to stress eating any longer.

6 comments:

  1. Just saw your comment on Mysti's blog and I used to read your old blog; glad I found you again! It sounds like you are doing much better and happier now and that's good. I always wondered what happened to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In answer to your question, I left the custom safari info on my recent post about my upcoming trip to Kenya.
    Check Next Adventure out - you won't be sorry!!!!

    Mary - A Breath of Fresh Air

    http://abreathoffreshair-mary.blogspot.com/2016/08/evenings-in-africa.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Amy ~ Hello again! I am still here, alive and kicking for the time being LOL Working to stay positive :)

    @Mary ~ Thank you! I'm looking forward to following along on your safari trip. It sounds so exciting and a bit dangerous lol Hope you have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the event that the monetary allowance can't adjust request and supply, safe payday online advances are one way a credit tested individual may tackle a brisk cash issue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keeping in mind the end goal to reimburse the payday advance measure of time, you can essentially request a propel paycheck from your manager/supervisor. Getting a propel paycheck will enable you to reimburse back the credit to sum on time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Owning a business is a piece of the American dream. This nation is loaded with stories about independent men and ladies who begun from only could parlay diligent work, persistence, and a smart thought into fruitful organizations.

    ReplyDelete